Saturday, April 25, 2009

Taking a Break Until After My Surgery on Monday the 27th

Here is a little information about my upcoming surgery on Monday. About a month ago I had a CT Scan to follow up on a spot on my right upper lung and a spot on my liver. Every six months I have a CT Scan to see how my little friends are doing. Well the spot on my lung has disappeared. That is a relief since I used to smoke heavily. The spot on my liver hasn't grown so that is good news. Now here is where the fun starts. As the doctor was examining the CT Scans he noticed that my appendix was swollen. He called it a Mucocele which means my appendix is producing extra mucous and it will keep growing unless it is removed. If my appendix keeps swelling it will eventually press on the organs in that area. There is also a small chance that the Mucocele could be cancerous and could spread to my colon. With those things in mind I opted to have my appendix removed. I asked my doctor if it was his mucocele would he do the same and he said yes he would. While I am still on the table the doctor will send a sample of my appendix to the lab. The test results take about an hour. If the test sample is cancerous I will have to have the right side of my colon removed. This procedure is called a Right-Hemi. The reason the entire right side of the colon has to be removed is because of the blood supply. If the sample comes back benign, then all is well. I will only be missing my appendix and I will be home on Tuesday. Jeesh all that just for a little old appendix. What is this world turning into? My saga will continue either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how I am feeling.

Peace and Love to All

No comments:

Post a Comment