Friday, May 15, 2009

Eleven Days and Finally Set Free

Hi Everyone, After my surgery I spent 2 days in ICU. I don't remember much about ICU except for the nurse's aid that forgot to tell me that the wipes she gave me had soap in them. Consequently when I wiped my face I got soap in my eyes. I told her about my eyes burnng and she just laughed and said that she forgot to tell me about the soapy wipes. After her laughing spree she took the time to find me a washcloth without soap. Ahhhh.... relief for my eyes. The only other thing I remember is that the nurses want me out of bed the day after surgery. They wanted me to fart so that they could remove the tube from my nose. Try as I may I couldn't fart and, given my history of being a great farter, that was unexpected. They also wanted me to try and have a bowel movement. All this lower attention was to make sure that all my plumbing was working and not leaking. Later on the second day in ICU I was moved to a semi-private room. Even though I couldn't fart the nurse removed my nasal tube.
So here I was in a semi-private room with an IV for liquids and a catheter to drain the liquids. My room mate was a decent sort who was in the hospital for pneumonia. Every day was like the one before except for the daily visits of my lovely wife. She made sure that I had what I needed. She gave me a sponge bath every day and powdered me with Anti Monkey Butt Powder. My wife even made up my bed with clean sheets. How about that for quality care. I should mention that my wife is a nurse and she knows how to take care of her patients. She called me her 'naughty patient.' She called me that because I didn't breath enough, walk enough, drink enough, and eat enough. I ask you out there would you feel like doing all those things if your guts had just been sliced and diced? Well some of you would because you would take my wife's side, but I thank those of you brave enough to take my side. I know my room mate took my side. Eventually my room mate and I strolled around the halls with our IV poles on wheels. I started to drink a bit more, but the nausea really took me for a spin for most of those eleven days. Lots of morphine and other various drugs to relieve this and prevent that.
Finally I had enough. The next time I saw my surgeon I told him I was ready to go home. There were too many things in the hospital that didn't agree with me and I was ready for some good old home care and recuperation. The doctor had my paperwork cleared and I was ready to go the same day. I am at a loss for words to explain my feelings about going home. Home to my beautiful wife. Home to my 4 legged children-7 Siamese, 1 Pomerian, 1 Long Haired Chihuahua, and 1 Miniature Sheltie. Home to my Stuff.
Well I think that is enough for tonight. The rest of my entries will be much shorter as I cover the rest of the days of my recovery. I will say that today I had to go back to the VA Hospital for my Hormone implant-it keeps my bone tumors and my prostate cancer from growing.
Goodnight all.

Peace and Love to All

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honesty and the humor! Thanks for choosing to continue on this road to recovery and health!! I love you
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal, I'm so glad you are back home! I hope to see you soon! Hugs & love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hal...so good to see you on the mend and able to make it into the clinic yesterday...i like the blog...sorry to hear the hospital stay wasn't the best...but if the procedure helps, the cost of the nursing nuisance was small. Keep on keeping on, brother...thoughts and prayers are with you and Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way...huge fan of the Anti Monkey Butt powder too...keep the good humor

    ReplyDelete