Saturday, May 16, 2009

Every Day is Better Than the Day Before

Hi Everyone, My recuperation is advancing nicely. Everyday I can see and feel my body healing. Yesterday I had my three month Hormone implant so I am set for another three months. Monday I will call the VA and get my PSA results. The PSA score should still be well within acceptable limits. So for now all is well on the Prostate Cancer front and the recuperation front.
I would like to share a couple of events that occurred near the end of my stay. On the seventh night of my stay a very good night nurse give me a new IV because the old IV that had been in me for one day was starting to infiltrate which made the medicine burn in my vein when it was administered. By medical standards an IV can only be in a person for three days. Any longer and one can contract Phlebitis which is an infection of one's veins. Ouch! Back to the story. The IV that was put in by the good night nurse almost three days ago was starting to infiltrate. Well the day nurse on duty decided that I needed a new IV and commenced to removing my old one. She left to get supplies and six hours later she shows up! During the six hours I had pressed my nurse's call button three times because I needed the medication that was administered through my IV. Each time I asked for help the nurse would say that they would be right there. When the nurse finally showed up I asked her what took so long. She said that they had an emergency in the next room. I couldn't believe my ears. For six hours I was without my medicine. Liquid Morphine, Pepsid, and Phenergan that needed to be administered through an my IV. Needless to say I was in a lot of pain while I waited. There is no way that the hospital was shorthanded enough to not have enough nurses to take care of business whether it be major or minor. I know that there were enough nurses because I noticed how many there were when I did my daily walk around the halls. I wanted to share this story with you so that you can see that hospitals don't always run smoothly and there are a few bumps along the way.
Next time I post I would like to share what daily supplements and prescriptions I take to combat my cancer. For now I want to settle in for the evening and enjoy a movie with my wife. I will say that my wife spent much time doing research on supplements and cancer. I was her little guinea pig, but we found a regimen that worked. It is very possible that the supplements could work for most anyone who has prostate cancer. Of course the usual cessation of alcohol, caffeine, and red meat also help your body to fight off the cancer. I know that there is a major shift in one's living habits, but I think it is definately for the best. After all don't you think being alive is worth it? I balked at first when it came to giving up all of my favorite foods, but my life was worth more than a nice juicy BBQ steak. LOL.
My lovely wife had a couple of sayings that I want to share with you. She called all the changes that I went through my "New Norm." She also used to tell me, "Inch by inch life's a cinch. Yard by yard life's hard." Perhaps when things get a little crazy you can think of these words of wisdom. Maybe they will help you cope. They sure helped me.
That's enough for today people.

Peace and Love to All.

3 comments:

  1. Hey dad. That is too bad about your nurse and the IV. I am glad you are feeling better. We will miss you in DC this year, But I am looking forward to seeing you in June. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello brother dearest, our phone calls are short, we're just not good with those little contraptions. After all, we can't see the body language. We (yeah, I'm here too!)read your blog this morning. We know you are a computer geek, but this is really impressive! After all, you got the brains & I got the beauty (at least Rick thinks so). We really appreciate being able to sit down at a time when we can read all that you have gone through and digest it all. That simply doesn't come through in our phone calls (although it is wonderful to hear your voice). Knowing that Karen, Ohio's most talented & beautiful nurse, is by your side caring & loving you as no one else can. That certainly seems to shorten the miles knowing the comfort & unconditional love she provides.

    Know we think and pray for you every day. Looking forward to seeing (& dubbing) you & Karen in July.

    Love you, Ev & Rick

    ReplyDelete