Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Hospital Journey Begins

Hello Everyone, It is April 27th, 2009 and approximately 0715 hours. Previously I was told by my doctor that I would be able to tell how extensive my surgery was by the presence of a simple nasal tube. He said that as I was wheeled out of the recovery room to take notice of any tubes coming out of my nose. If there were no tubes, then my appendix was all I would let them have. If there was a tube(s), then I left more of me behind than I wanted.
Just before I was wheeled into the Operating Room I kissed my lovely wife and told her I would see her soon.
Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.
I vaguely remember a tube down my nose when I was wheeled out of the Recovery Room. The importance of the tube didn't hit me until I was in ICU and my wife told me the details.
I was in surgery approximately 8 hours. One can deduct an hour while my appendix was at the lab and the doctors waited for the results. I suspect that while my doctors waited they had my body covered with a very chic picinic tablecloth and were eagerly munching down deviled eggs, cheese, and a nice bagette. LOL. I think not. Ok, ok back to reality. My appendix, it turns out, was hiding a small carcinoid (a malignant tumor arising especially from the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract). The doctor decided that the prudent action would be to perform a Right Hemi of my large colon. That means that my entire right side of my colon was to be removed. Break out the chain saw and zip there goes the right side of my colon. Finish up by stitching the ends back together. Now on to the other good stuff.
Back in 2001 I had an incisional hernia repaired. A couple of years prior I had to have approximately ten inches of my left colon removed. Yes I know, I am not very lucky when it comes to colons. Back to the hernia repair. To repair a hernia a screen is inserted between the muscle wall and the intestines to prevent the intestines from bulging through the muscle wall. I had a little trouble recovering from that repair, but nothing too serious.
Back to the present. When the doctor had me open he noticed that the hernia repair mesh had separated into two pieces and that some of my small intestine had grown between the layers. My intestines had also became stuck to the mesh. My doctor tried for quite some time to separate my intestines from the mesh, but to no avail. The next step was to cut away the useless parts of my intestines and restitch the ends back together. I found out later that that particular make of mesh had been recalled due to that same problem of separating.
Whew what a trip. Here I am in ICU, sore as hell, and wondering what hapenned. Did they get the bus that hit me? Now you have the background and the rest of my stay at the hospital will go fast, but I will wait until tomorrow to tell you that tale.
Goodnight everyone and sleep well.

Peace and Love to All

No comments:

Post a Comment