Friday, May 22, 2009

Supplement Addition, Some Nice Things at the Hospital, and Other Goodies



JOY SCALE: 9/10

Hello Everyone, I apologize for missing yesterday's post.

The picture above is one that will be on my Son's motorcycle during Rolling Thunder. There is a more detailed explanation at the end of this post. I don't like sharing pictures of myself, but I felt this time was acceptable.

I added a new supplement to my previous list. The supplement is called Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex. It has a substance called naringenin and what it does is stimulate DNA repair in prostate cancer cells, it is an antioxident, it inhibits the secretion of Hepatitis C in infected cells,and could offer a new approach for treating the disease according to a Harvard Medical School study. Here is the link if you would like further information:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_4_10/ai_n15969621/

I told you all that I would share some nice things that happened to during my hospital stay. I met a couple of very caring and experienced nurses. They explained everything that they were doing to me which satisfied my insatiable curiosity. In one particular instance one of my many doctors prescribed a drug called Reglan. I asked what it did and he said that it gets things moving along (he was referring to my bowels and diarrhea). I refused the drug because I wasn't that mobile and to be struck with a case of diarrhea didn't appeal to me. I had visions of pooping my bed and having a nurse's aid clean me up. I prefer to remain the independemt man that I am and take care of my own bodily functions. With that being said I somehow got into a conversation with one of the nice night nurses about this Reglan. I told her that I refused to take it and she asked why. I told her what the doctor had said about getting things moving along-diarrhea. She laughed and proceeded to tell me what Reglan does. She said that the drug works on my digestive juices in my stomach. Well that sound much better than the drug giving me diarrhea. It just so happenned that the doctor showed up a few minutes after the night nurse's Reglan explanation. I told the doctor that I will start taking the drug and the reason I refused it before was because he said it got things moving which meant diarrhea to me. The night nursec ame back to my room while the doctor was there and stood against a wall. She was listening to everything the doctor said and she motioned to me that her explanation was the correct one. In retrospect I think the doctor and the night nurse both were right in their explanation of what Reglan does, but the night nurse had the better one. I really appreciated the night nurse's help and I consider that event a nice experience. Another nice thing that happened to me was what a very thoughtful and caring nurse's aid did for me each and every day. She would come into my room at scheduled hours and ask me if I wanted fresh water, a clean blanket, etc. My bed constantly had clean sheets and pillow cases. She would also carry on a pleasant conversation that would make you feel like you were sitting at a table with her and having a cup of tea or coffee. Another nice thing was my main doctor and surgeon. A few days before my operation he took the time to thoroughly explain what was going to happen and what could possibly happen. His bed side manner was excellent. He joked around at all the right times. He showed compassion and looked you right in the eye whenever he talked to you. Another nice thing was the food. No I am just kidding. It was terrible. Yech! I bet if you had insurance and was in an upscale hospital the food would be much better, but this is the VA and you get what you get. Some of the interns were very nice and caring even at 4:30 in the morning. I know that there a few more nice thing, but all this medication has messed around with my memory.

It has been brought to my attention that some people have been having trouble leaving comments. I am not sure what causes it, but I can suggest a couple of ways to work around the problem. The first is that in the "Select profile......." box you can select "anonymous". Sometimes that works. The second thing you can do is to just email me your comment and I can reply to it. In any case please try and if you find another way that works let me know so I can share it.

Well people I wish each and every one of you a safe and fun Memorial Weekend.

Please remember our Veterans.

Speaking of Veterans I belong to a motorcycle club called Granite Vets. All the members except me reside in New Hampshire. The GV is a club for Veterans and we adhere to a very strict code of conduct. Some of the GV members are going to Rolling Thunder and I was supposed to go with them this weekend, but my surgery prevented that trip. I am bummed, but there is always next year. My Son Jesse has a picture of me that he is keeping on his motorcycle during the ride. That way I can be spiritually there. He will also take lots of pictures to share. The picture is at the top of this post.

Peace and Love to All

1 comment: