Sunday, August 16, 2009

Emotional Health


JOY SCALE: 9/10
Good Morning Everyone, Today I would like to briefly cover emotional health. Most of the time people upon completion of treatments find themselves overwhelmed by emotions. I know I did and still am. I think that when you are going through treatments you focus on them and our emotions take a back seat. Now a myriad of things go through your head. The potential of your own death, or the effect of your cancer on your loved ones. For myself my main concern was my loved ones. I was very concerned how my cancer effected them. Cancer is certainly not cut and dried. This is where emotional support comes in. You need people you can turn to for strength and comfort. Support can come in many varieties: family, friends, cancer support groups, church or spiritual groups,online support communities, or individual counselors. Most people who have gone through, or are going through, cancer can benefit from getting some type of support. What works for you depends on your situation and personality. Some feel safe in a peer-support group. Others would rather talk in an informal setting, such as church. Some feel safer talking one-on-one with a trusted friend or counselor. If you aren't sure who you can turn to for help, call your American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345 and they can put you in touch with an appropriate group or resource.
My psychiatrist helps me to understand what I am going through as I traverse this slippery slope of emotion and cancer. One of his specialties is working with the terminally ill (I don't like to think of myself as terminal) and he helps me to deal with my emotions in that area. Family and friends help me in other ways and areas.
I hope that this information helps.
Don't forget to BREATHE and LAUGH a good belly laugh.
Peace and Love to All

No comments:

Post a Comment